Vegan One Pot Meals – Red Lentil Dahl
Vegan one pot meals are probably my favourite type of vegan dish. So many people get the wrong impression of a vegan diet.
Often people assume that vegans adopt the diet of a rabbit and eat ‘plenty of greens’. Whilst I could just about cope with that my other half and kids would revolt!
This recipe is the first in our series of one-pot meals to get you through the winter months.
Vegan Red Lentil Dahl
Vegan Red Lentil Dahl makes me happy, I love to get it started whilst the kids are playing in the kitchen. Usually, this is a recipe for my day off work.
The kids and I will go for a walk in the afternoon and when we return the smell hits you, a homely, warm and welcoming smell. If you could bottle the smell of family cooking this would be it. If you want to know more about raising vegan kids you should check out this article right here.
I try to have a few vegan one pot meals up my sleeve that is easy peasy to make and can double up as work lunches. There are only so many cold work lunches you want and especially during winter.
I always make sure to reorder the ingredients for this once a month. These days, I do all my shopping online and find that the most cost-effective way of making this recipe is to buy in bulk. That way I know I have the stuff in to make at least 4 vegan Red Lentil Dahl before needing to reorder
I’ve found putting this recipe together one of the hardest as I usually just throw everything in a pan! Don’t worry if you add a little extra or adjust a spice if you know its not your favourite. I know at Christmas I’ll be adding extra cinnamon for that Christmassy feel!
This method will make a huge saucepan of vegan one pot meals goodness. I use the biggest pan with a lid that I have.
Once it’s finished we will have four huge bowls for dinner the night I make it and then I store about another 4/5 portions in the freezer to grab for a work lunch.
I always find It tastes even better when it has been left at least 24 hours.
If possible make the day before you want to eat it if you can. If I’m completely honest I’m not usually that strong-willed and can’t resist eating it the same day!
Black garlic – 4 cloves crushed
Onions white or brown – 1 large
Fresh ginger 3cm x 3cm cut into small pieces
Salt and pepper to season
Paprika -2 teaspoon
Cumin – 1 teaspoon
Gram masala – 2 teaspoon
Cinnamon – 2 teaspoon
Chilli flakes – 1 teaspoon
Key lime leaves – 3 whole leaves
Lemongrass paste – 2 teaspoon
Lime juice – Loads (4/5 squirts)!
Red Lentils – 250g
Chickpeas – 1 x 400g (drained) keep the juice for other recipes
Butter beans – 1 x 400g (drained)
Tinned chopped tomatoes – 1 x 400g
Tomato puree – 4 teaspoon
Vegetable Stock – 1 stock cube in 800ml water
Cauliflower Rice – 200g
Butternut Squash – 200g
Sweet Potato – 200g
Coconut Creme or Milk or both – 1 x 400g or 1 x 200g carton of creme
Vegan One-Pot Meal Method
- Melt 2 large teaspoons of coconut oil in the saucepan
- Put in your onion garlic and ginger – cook, until the onions start to change colour
- Add the dry spices- throw them all in, lower the heat and use a wooden spoon to mix really well- the smell will be divine. Mix until the
- mixture goes dark and stiff but try not burn.
- Throw in the lime juice and stand back- it may fizz
- Add the lemongrass paste and tomato puree.
- Put in your chickpeas and butter beans – mix until they’re all coated in the spice mix.
- Mix in your tinned tomatoes
- Pour in veg stock – mix well
- Add red lentils
- Mix in the cauliflower rice
- Throw in your butternut squash and sweet potatoes
- Cover, once it starts to simmer turn to low heat and leave for 40 mins
- Stir well making sure you stir right to the bottom of the pan
- Leave again for another 30 mins
- Stir well and leave again for 30 mins
- Add coconut creme, milk or creme fraiche and allow to reheat
- Serve and enjoy
Want more recipes for vegan one pot meals? Subscribe to our blog and be the first to know when a new post lands.
Let us know what you think of Wellbeu vegan one pot meals. Comment below.
If you like it as much as we do then we’ve managed to source the ingredients that we use – to make your shopping as easy ours!